Well, the Holidays have past and I find myself counting down the days until it is warm again. Unfortunately that won't be for a while so I wanted to post the things in my life that warms my heart to take away the cold January chill.
My younger brother and his wife is having a baby and they just found out it is a boy! One of my good friends is also having a baby boy. (congrats again Ty!) Maizee can make Lily laugh like no one else.
This next story is very dear to my heart. I purposely waited to post this until after Christmas so I could remember the spirit of service as the beginning of new year instead of at the end.
It was only one week before Christmas this past season and I found myself stressing and worrying about gifts and prices and all the things I needed to do before the big day arrived. I packed up the whole family and drove to Kmart intent on finding Maizee new shoes. She had outgrown her snow boots, Sunday shoes and her play shoes. After browsing Kmart's selection of shoes I quickly learned that there was a sale of buy one get one half off, and another pair was 50% off. I happily made my selection and headed to the cashier. I busied myself with baby Lily while Brandon got ready to pay. Unfortunately to our displeasure the sales had 'special' rules that would not allow us to buy the shoes at the discounted rate. We asked the cashier to void the transaction and try again. She gave us an annoyed look and very grudgingly started over. Well, the price was more than double then what we thought. By this point I was stress and a little sad because Maizee needed new shoes and it looked like we weren't going to be able to get them for her this time. We were about to tell the cashier to forget it when I woman behind us in line said, "I would like to buy those shoes." At first I thought she just wanted to buy the boots and shoes for her girls but she said, "I want to buy those shoes for you. I have been wanting to do something nice for someone for Christmas and I haven't done it yet, and I would like to buy these shoes for you." Brandon and I didn't know what to say. I just looked at her and started to cry. I was so taken back that I could even muster a reply. We both thanked her as the cashier began the transaction. Of course I just cried the whole time. When it was time for us to leave I thanked her again and gave her a hug. She smiled and insisted that it wasn't a problem, she said "I know how it is being tight with money and I am glad I could help you."
Brandon and I talked about our Christmas Miracle for the rest of the day. It made me feel so humbled and grateful that the Lord helps us through other people. I want to thank that stranger who listened to The Spirit that day, it has hugely impacted Brandon and my life. We think about it every time we see the shoes.We listen the "Christmas Shoes" song with a new meaning.
Service is the best way to warm up in this cold weather. If you have a generous thought for someone in the future, do it! It is probably the Lord trying to help someone else through you!
What a sweet experience! Thanks for sharing! Love you Mindy!
ReplyDeleteThat is such a heart-warming experience. Thank you for sharing-- it helped me to have a better day. You are awesome.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a tearjerker! Thank you, Mindy! I needed that!
ReplyDelete